Sunday, December 2, 2012

Shepherd's Pie

I think of shepherd's pie as the perfect winter food. Maybe it's the potatoes or the fact that it's called a pie. 

One day, I was thinking about shepherd's pie, and I thought, What if the crust was made of scalloped potatoes. I thought about this idea for a long time but never tried it until now.

I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, so I was really excited at the outcome!





















Definitely the ultimate winter dinner.

Recipe
 Ingredients:
  • 3-4 medium sized potatoes
  • 1lb ground lamb
  • 4 carrots
  • 3/4 cup of peas (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 4-5 Tablespoons butter


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or oil your pan. Slice your potatoes with a mandoline (I used a peeler because I don't have a mandoline but be warned, it takes a long time.)  Line the potatoes in your pan. You may want to have several layers of potatoes. 
In a pot, melt butter and put in chopped onions and diced garlic. Cook until golden brown. Add flour and stir. Add lamb and cook until brown. Mix in peas and chopped carrots and pour into the potato crust. Top with about 2 more layers of thinly sliced potatoes. Pour some olive oil or melted butter over the top and cook for 30 minutes or until the top appears golden. Enjoy!




In other news, Carolyn is growing up and is learning lots!



No comments:

Post a Comment